The two organs that maintain life
The animal body is a complex group of organs and systems working in sync, performing different functions to maintain the whole body healthy. Two organs that play an important role on avian body homeostasis are the liver and the kidney.
The avian liver similar to mammals is involved in various metabolic and homeostatic functions and is responsible for most of the metabolism and detoxification processes that occur on the avian body. The liver is considered part of the digestive system due to the important role that it plays in digestion. The liver wont only help with the metabolism and production of lipids, carbohydrates and proteins (such as enzymes, hormones, etc.); but it also serves as a storage for these important macromolecules, which can be released once the body requires them.
The liver is formed by lobes which are structured by lobules (approx. 1000,00 lobules per lobe). Lobules are hexagonal shaped functional units of the liver which are formed by hepatocytes and non-parenchymal cells. At each corner of the lobule, there is a portal triad consisting of: a hepatic artery, a portal vein and a bile duct. (Fig. 1)
This intricate organ performs many functions such as:
· Bile formation: Bile helps the animal to digest fat. Liver synthesizes bile acids which are very important in digestion and absorption of oil and detoxification of the liver. Bile acids improve feed utilisation and FCR.
· Fat metabolism, Lipogenesis and lipoprotein formation: Important when there are problems like fatty liver. Fatty liver will cause higher mortality rates due to rupture of the liver.
· Carbohydrate and protein metabolism: Important for a proper performance.
· Vitamin D3 metabolism: Important for a proper skeletal system and egg development.
All these functions are extremely important for the survival and proper function of the animal body. In order to maintain a healthy bird, the liver should be kept in excellent conditions as well as another organ of the body: the kidney.
The kidney as well as the liver plays a key role in various essential functions for the avian body to work properly. Just as in mammals, the most important function is to help with the filtration and excretion of metabolic waste products that are found in the bloodstream. Other important functions are: regulation of electrolytes, reabsorption of glucose and amino acids and regulation of blood pressure. The renal blood pressure regulation is achieved by controlling the reabsorption of water, maintaining the correct pH level as well as chemical balance and intravascular fluid status of the body.
Birds’ kidneys are located on both sides of the vertebral column attached in the abdomen cavity and are in contact with the pelvis and synsacrum dorsally. Each kidney is divided in 3 different sections which have several functional lobes. Each lobe is divided into lobules and each lobule has a cortex and a medulla. (Fig.2)
Any damage in the structure or function of the kidney will lead to renal disorders that can end up in poor performance parameters or even death of the birds.
There are many challenges that can affect a poultry flock such as:
· Bacterial, viral, parasitic and fungal infections: Some microorganisms not only have a tissue predilection for the kidney but also their metabolites can have a direct effect on the kidney.
· Toxins: The kidney works as a filter to eliminate all toxins for the body, but some toxins can directly affect the integrity of the kidney itself.
· Nutritional imbalances: An excess of protein can create problems such a visceral gout.. The symptom can be recognized by whitish deposit on the surface of many visceral organs.
In the aim to maintain a healthy organism and align to perfection through harmony, these two important organs have to be taken care of to avoid future problems. XVET’s Metavolin Herbal and Renal Cleaner supports the proper functioning of the liver and the kidney.
Metavolin Herbal is XVET’s botanical solution for hepatic problems in poultry, supporting liver protection, helping to optimize fat metabolism and overall showing hepatic improvement. The combination of hepatic factors together with four synergic botanical extracts contained in this formula, offers high antioxidant effect and promotes liver detoxification; making Metavolin Herbal ideal to use when there are liver problems, after antibiotic treatments, mycotoxicosis problems, and if we are looking for a general performance enhancer.
Renal Cleaner on the other hand is XVET’s kidney supporter for a healthier and better functioning kidney. Due to its fast action mode and flusher effect, it is a smart formula to use in case of renal disorder, to alleviate the kidney after the use of antibiotics and help to protect against mycotoxicosis, etc. Factors such as nutrition play an important role in the integrity of the kidney. The effective formula of Renal Cleaner combines energy sources with good quality electrolytes to provide cost-efficiency. Administering Renal Cleaner will enhance the performance in general.
If you need further information, please don’t hesitate to contact us under: email@example.com